True Light History
(I) The Origins of True Light Middle School of Hong Kong
Towards the end of the Qing Dynasty, a young North American female missionary, travelled a far distance to Guangzhou with the religious mission to spread Christianity to China. In order to provide Chinese women with education opportunities, she founded the first True Light School in 1872. It was one of the first colleges for women in South China, the second girls’ college in Guangzhou, but the first of its kind in terms of girls’ boarding in this provincial capital. This female missionary is our school founder, Ms Harriet Newell Noyes (那夏理女士) (1844-1924). Her religious zeal laid the foundations for the school’s future development in education.
(II) The development of The True Light Middle School of Hong Kong
The school has thrived since its establishment in Hong Kong in 1935. True Light Middle School of Hong Kong got its start as a primary school. Under the guidance of God and with the efforts of the staff, it has developed into an educational institution comprising a kindergarten, a primary school and a secondary school. This “through-train” mode of operation enables the inculcation of school spirit and coherence in both teaching and learning. Our development is also able to suit the educational trends and meet the requirements of the time.
1867 – 1950 The Origin and the early developments
Ms Harriet Newell Noyes, the Founder of the school, was assigned by the Philadelphia Woman’s Board to China to spread the word of God. Owing to total neglect of women’s education in the Qing Dynasty at that time, Ms Noyes was determined to establish a school for women in China.
True Light Seminary（真光書院）, the first women’s school in South China, was founded in Kam Lei Fau (Sha Kei)（沙基金利埠）, Guangzhou. “Thou Art the Light of the World”（ 汝當為世真光） was chosen as school motto. Six students were enrolled.
A school fire led to its removal to Ren Ji Street（仁濟街）, Guangzhou. It was expanded to include the elementary grades, the Women’s School and the Bible Women’s Training School. The number of students increased drastically to the number of 300 in 1916.
The Women’s School and the Bible Women’s School were moved to Paak Hok Tong（白鶴洞）, Guangzhou and were merged and renamed as “True Light Middle School” （真光女子中學）. Dr. J.W. Creighton（祁約翰博士） was named the principal. In 1919, the First Graduation Ceremony was held for the six graduates.
True Light Primary School, located at 26 Caine Road, was established in Hong Kong by Dr. Hoh Yam-tong（何蔭棠博士）with Ms. Tso Hoh Yuk Ying（曹何玉瑛女士） appointed as principal. 35 students were enrolled.
The number of students increased to 280. The True Light Board of Trustees purchased a piece of land at 75 Caine Road（堅道）as the new school site.
The invasion of the Japanese army led to school suspension.
After the Second World War, True Light Primary School was reopened and Ms. Ho Chung Chung（何中中女士）was appointed as principal of the Primary and Kindergarten Sections.
The True Light junior secondary section was established. The number of students increased to 452.
The True Light Student Union（學生自治會）was set up.
- The first class of the Junior Secondary Section graduated.
- The Parent Teacher Association（家長教師聯誼會）was set up to promote close liaison between school and parents.
- The school applied to the government for land as school site for the secondary section.
The Hong Kong Government granted the school a site on Tai Hang Road（大坑道）for building the campus to accommodate secondary students.
1951-90 A period of rapid development
- The junior secondary section was moved to the new site on Tai Hang Road. The senior secondary section was set up in the same year. There was a total of 11 classes. The PM Vocational Training School （下午職業學校）and the evening school on Caine Road were established. There were a total of 972 students.
- The school dormitory provided accommodation for local and overseas students.
- Five more classrooms were added to the school with the suspension of Vocational Training and evening classes.
- The English and Chinese medium classes were jointly run by the school.
- The wife of Sir Alexander Grantham, governor of Hong Kong（港督葛量洪夫人）, was invited to officiate at the opening ceremony of the Phase Two Primary School campus.
- The Secondary School Christian Students Fellowship was established.
School trustee, Mrs. Tso Hoh Yuk Ying, was invited to lay the foundation stone of the school front wing on Caine Road.
To mark the silver jubilee of True Light Middle School of Hong Kong, Sir Robert Brown Black（港督柏立基爵士）, governor of Hong Kong, was invited to officiate at the unveiling ceremony of the expanded Secondary Section.
In celebration of True Light School’s 90th anniversary, the True Light Staff Association（甡社）staged a public drama production to raise funds for True Light Chapel facilities.
- A fountain, where lotuses were planted and fish were bred, was erected in the school garden for aesthetic appreciation.
- Due to road collapse near the school caused by heavy rain in June, the Phase Two Primary School moved to its phase one campus on Caine Road for classes.
The Secondary Section Road Safety Patrol Team was set up.
The Red Cross Youth Unit, Unit 42 in Hong Kong, was set up.
- In February, the swimming pool construction project began on Tai Hang campus.
- In December, the foundation stone laying ceremony of Centennial Hall (百齡堂) was held.
1972 – 01
To celebrate the centenary of True Light School, special events were held, including a seminar on future education principles on 30th August, a thanksgiving service in Hong Kong Football Club Stadium by Hong Kong Administrator Sir Hugh Norman-Walker on 2nd September
1972 – 02
An unveiling ceremony of Centennial Hall by Dr. HohYam-tong, school founder
1972 – 03
And an unveiling ceremony of the swimming pool by Mr. Allen Lau, chairman of The True Light Foundation, Inc. (US) on 3rd September.
1972 – 04
From September, English-medium classes were added to the Secondary Section.
The Phase One Primary Section on Caine Road was closed. With government subsidies, the Caine Road school campus was reopened for running Hong Kong True Light English Secondary School.
Dr. Ho Chung Chung retired and Ms. Wong Sau Ching（黃秀清女士）, head of Secondary Section, succeeded her as principal.
The secondary section became fully subsidized under the Hong Kong Education Department.
Ms. Wong Sau Ching retired and Ms. Wong Chiu Yok（黃肖玉女士） succeeded her as principal.
The Girl Guides Ranger Section, Group 97 of Hong Kong Island, was set up in the Secondary Section.
The Cub Scouts Section, Group 212 of Hong Kong Island, was set up in the Primary Section.
In May, the all-weather running track at the school sports ground started its service for students.
The school dormitory ended its service to make way for the construction of Secondary Section classrooms.
The Commercial Section was set up to provide F5 graduates with more learning opportunities and prepare them for the pursuit of a career in the business sector.
Principal Wong Chiu Yok retired and Ms. Leung Yin Ting（梁燕婷女士）succeeded her as principal.
1991-2015 A period of transformation
The Community Youth Club was established in both Primary and Secondary Sections.
- The school campus expansion project commenced in July with the old phase one building demolished to make way for reconstruction work.
- The Junior Police Call was set up in the Secondary Section.
- Under the Medium of Instruction Assessment for Secondary Schools, our school was granted the privilege of adopting English as the medium of instruction.
- Secondary One classes of the Chinese Section were closed, followed by progressive closure of the section itself.
- The new True Light school wing on Tai Hang Road was officially opened by Archbishop Peter Kwong Kong-kit of the Hong Kong Anglican Church in celebration of the school anniversary.
- Ms. Wong Pui Kau retired and Ms. Lo Wai Ying （盧慧英女士） succeeded her as head of Kindergarten.
2002 – 01
On the School Open Day in May, True Light History Room was first used.
2002 – 02
A publication about True Light history was released to the public at a press conference held in a Commercial Press (HK) venue.
The newly constructed covered foot-bridge began its service in February to let Primary Section students access the new school wing for classes conveniently.
The statue of Dr. Ho Chung Chung, our late principal, was unveiled and two publications (何中中文集及留芳頌) in memory of Dr. Ho were released.
Principal Leung Yin Ting retired and Ms. Kwan Suet Ming（關雪明女士）succeeded her as principal. Ms. Lam Yin Ching（林燕貞女士）, Ms. Ng Pui Ching（吳佩貞女士） and Ms. Lo Wai Ying（盧慧英女士） were appointed as Principal of Commercial Section, Primary Section and Kindergarten Section respectively.
- The 3-year New Senior Secondary Curriculum started with the implementation of 4 core subjects and 13 elective subjects in 15 groups covering different Key Learning Areas.
- Ms. Lo Wai Ying, principal of Kindergarten Section, retired at the end of the school year and Ms. Shum Pui Chun（岑佩珍女士）succeeded to the principalship.
- Lumington, our English drama production, was successfully staged in the Jockey Club Auditorium.
- The four True Light Secondary Schools successfully applied for the e-learning pilot scheme.
- TLamp (True Light Alumni Mentorship Program) was launched on April 9.
- A ground-breaking ceremony for the renovation work of our swimming pool proceeded after the 76th Anniversary Thanksgiving Ceremony.
2012 – 01
The Commercial and Language Section ended its historical mission and ceased to enroll students in September 2012.
2012 – 02
The Chinese translated version of “A Light in the Land of Sinim＜光在華夏＞” which was written by our school founder, Ms. Harriet Noyes, was published.
2012 – 03
“From Guangzhou to Hong Kong: The Narrated History of True Light Golden Times< 從廣州到香港：真光流金歲月的口述故事 >” was published by the four True Light Schools.
The Inauguration Ceremony of the Indoor Heated Swimming Pool（恆溫泳池）took place after the 78th School Anniversary Thanksgiving Service.
2014 – 01
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) was introduced in Secondary Section.
2014 – 02
The Parent-Teacher Association supported the “TL Oasis Project” by holding a fundraising walkathon in Aberdeen Country Park on March 30, 2014. Over 2000 students, parents and alumnae attended the activity. A total of $699,488 was raised.
2015 – 01
“True Light Oasis”（真光知源館）which includes an e-Learning Centre and a brand new library was launched to cope with the needs of the changing times.
2015 – 02
The Centennial Hall had its stage extended and additional backstage facilities installed.
2015 – 03
True Light e-Learning Workshop: On and Beyond was held on 25 April. Over 80 secondary teachers from about 55 secondary schools attended the workshop.
2015 – 04
The Anniversary Banquet was held on 2nd May in the Grand Hall in Wanchai with a total of 92 tables set for guests.
2015 – 05
HKTL Joint Schools Speech Day and Passing-on-the-light Ceremony were held in July.
2015 – 06
Thou Art the Luminors, our English musical, was successfully staged in the Jockey Club Auditorium.
2016 － 01
Our Student Union ran a stall（真光棧）for the first time at the Chinese New Year Fair.
2016 － 02
Being commended on the excellent performance, professional sharing and promotion of the use of IT in education, our school was awarded the “IT in Education Centre of Excellence” and “Apple Distinguished School”.
2017 － 01
Officers of the UNESCO Global Geoparks from Japan, Italy and Ireland visited our school.
2017 – 02
True Light 145th School Anniversary Inter-school Education Conference-“The Current and Future Development of Science Innovation” was held. Our alumnus, Prof. Tsui Lap-chee （徐立之教授）, former President of the University of Hong Kong was invited to officiate at the Conference.
2017 – 03
School Anniversary Homecoming Tour to Guangzhou True Light was held. A tour of 106 people formed by the school board members, principals, teachers, students, parents and alumni of the 4 True Light schools visited the schools of Guangzhou True Light.
Principal Kwan Suet Ming retired and Ms Hui Tuen Yung（許端蓉女士）was appointed as the succeeding principal with effect from 1st September, 2018.
Successful completion of the classroom restructuring project in the kindergarten and primary sections.
2020 － 01
Ms. Shum Pui Chun, principal of Kindergarten Section, retired in August of 2020.
2020 – 02
The entrance next to the Sports Ground was redeveloped and became a new landmark for the school.
2020 – 03
The 85th School Anniversary kick-off ceremony was held in the hall.
2020 － 04
Due to the outbreak of the COVID-19, the 85th School Anniversary Thanksgiving Service was held by turning it online.
2020 － 05
The 85th Anniversary Picture Book, “Shine Every Day”（光閃閃，每一天）was published.